Losing hair is part of a normal cycle of growth and replacement. Hair follicles go through the growth and resting cycle in a non-synchronized way. Genetics is the most common cause of hair loss among both, men and women. In fact, heredity accounts for 95% of all the cases of alopecia (baldness). The remaining 5% of the cases can depend on a number other factors like diet, stress, illness, medications and more.

The most known cause of hair loss is a hereditary condition called male-pattern baldness or female-pattern baldness. It usually occurs gradually and in predictable patterns — a receding hairline and bald spots in men and thinning hair in women. It’s called androgenetic alopecia. It is caused by DHT, a by-product of testosterone.

The size reduction of hair follicles is one of the known common causes of hair loss amongst both men and women. Simply meaning, the anagen stage of hair growth gets shorter, and the resting (telogen) stage gets longer. Thus, resulting in thin, extremely short hair while also leaving many follicles empty of hair shafts.